Matthew O'Brien

Email: matthew.obrien@live.com.au
Twitter: @plant_protocol
Instagram: @theplantprotocol
tumblr: http://aoditya.tumblr.com/

Thursday 25 April 2013

Day 5: The 7 Day Juice Cleanse

Hi everyone,

Today I am feeling good but no where near as good as yesterday. I think this is because I am back at work and because of the intense training I did last night. Currently, I am looking a little pale and have lost a lot of weight and I will often times feel light-headed. As I have discussed with Darcie, we find ourselves alternating between feeling energized and feeling really drowsy. 

 Ever since I started this detox I have dreamt about eating food every night. First night was about cake, second night about pastry and last night I dreamt that I ate fish and chips! I'm seriously craving junk food at the moment which is why I have altered the course for the final day of the cleanse.

The plan is to progressively ease our way into eating food on Sunday. ideally, we would be doing this on Monday but due to work commitments this is the only day Darcie and I have together and we want to share this culinary experience.

I would recommend that everyone who is doing a juice cleanse spend at least 1 day easing into solid food consumption to reduce the amount of stress you are putting on your digestive system. I completely understand the urges to eat junk and go all out when your cleanse period is over, but I would recommend finishing the cleanse a day earlier if it means that you can spend one day progressively eating food. This reduce the cravings for junk food as well as allow your body to become accustomed to digesting food again.

Darcie's Favourite
2 Apples
1 Beetroot
3 Carrots
5 Leaves of Kale
3cm of Ginger

Last night, after BJJ, I drank a juice packed full of kale, apples, carrots, celery, beetroot and broccoli. After drinking the juice, besides still craving more protein, I noticed that my body responded very well to getting these nutrients with the 20min period after exercising.

I am going to use this knowledge for when I am eating again to pack my post-workout drink with far more nutrients. I used to just drink hemp protein mixed with rice/almond milk, and on the odd occasion a scoop of pea protein. Sometimes I would also get a take-away black bean burrito or something of the like when I was low on money or behind schedule.

Now, I am going to drink a big smoothie after each work-out. It's going to include high protein sources (combination of rice, pea and hemp) along with lots of nutrient dense fruit/vegetables as well as some ground flaxseeds. I think this combination will help my recovery and aid in my ability to gain muscle and strength.

I would recommend a similar approach for everyone that wants to improve their athletic performance. When I was part of the globo-gym environment and even when I was training to be a Personal Trainer, I saw far too many people not understanding the needs of their body post-workout (I was one of them). Simply combining whey protein and milk is not an effective way to maximise performance. I keep going back to this but I think it is hugely important to increase the range of nutrients your body is consuming. I think this is of even more importance post-workout when your body is in repair mode and crying out for fuel!
For anyone interested, this helps me AND you!
Team Nemesis 

To finish up I want to talk a bit about my training methods.

I am drawn to exercise that I believe the human body was made for. Most people accept the "fight or flight" principle as a physical response to stress. Consequently, I train a lot in running and fighting as I believe by doing so I am getting back to my basic physical construction as a human being.

On top of that, I train in functional strength to compliment my endeavors in running and fighting. This is one of the main reasons I have been attracted to CrossFit and Kettlebell training as the training protocol is one devised to assist in everyday movement.

I believe we should all be masters of our own body and one of the ways to do this is follow a training method which enables you to iron out any bodily weaknesses and approach exercise holisitcally.

 Thanks again to anyone still reading this, I hope that in some way the information I am putting out their is helpful and I would love it if you guys shared this or got in contact with me with anything that interests you and any questions. 

Peace out,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment