Matthew O'Brien

Email: matthew.obrien@live.com.au
Twitter: @plant_protocol
Instagram: @theplantprotocol
tumblr: http://aoditya.tumblr.com/

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Day 2: The 7 Day Juice Cleanse


Hey everybody,

Firstly, I just want to thank everybody that has supported me in getting this blog up and running. I didn't anticipate getting this much feedback and am very thankful for all the likes, shares and comments. Much appreciated!!!

I just have to clear something up in the last blog, the pineal gland releases DMT not melatonin when stress levels are reduced (melatonin production has to do with light). Sorry about that, but like I said I haven't had the chance to research this enough yet but just thought it was interesting. (Check out the book "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" by Rick Strassman M.D.)

Organic Ingredients for Today's Cleanse
So...It's day 2 now and Darcie and myself both had a pretty good sleep last night (after spending the evening juicing). Before we went to bed however we both felt really overtired and lethargic.

This morning I woke up earlier than usual and was surprised to find I was more energised. I was really buzzing around in the morning even though I don't like to drink my breakfast juice until about 20-30min after I get up (on the train to work). We tried a sweeter juice for breakfast which included blueberries (recipes will follow).

This morning, however, I did notice that my stomach/digestive system felt really strange and it looked like I have lost weight (especially around my abdomen). I would describe the feeling as if my body and mind was not sure how to react to my loss of weight and lack of digestion, especially considering that I am still being supplied with adequate nutrients from the juices.

For the most part of today I have felt about 15% more energised than yesterday (saying yesterday was 60% overall energy levels). I have noticed that the hardest times when juicing are snack periods. Mid-morning and mid-afternoon I feel like I really want to bite into something, even cook something, just something other than juice!!!!

Overall, I am starting to see improvement in how my body is responding to juicing. I was able to do a quick workout today (15 x Push-up Burpees, 15 x Kettlebell Swings @ 16kg). I did get a little bit light-headed while working out and felt a weird watery feeling in my upper abdomen. But, the fact that I could exercise shows that my body is starting to get more accustomed to the juicing cleanse and that I have been able to function better throughout today.


Here are today's recipes:

Morning Glory
2 Apples
1 Cucumber
1 Cup of Blueberries
2 Cups of Grapes
4 Kale Leaves
3cm Ginger

Mean Green
1 Apple
1 Cucumber
4 Stalks of Fennel (replacement for Celery)
4 Kale Leaves
1/2 Lemon
3cm Ginger

Sweet Passion
1 Beetroot
1 Cucumber
1 Carrot
1 Apple
4 Kale Leaves
1/2 Lemon

I chose mostly organic produce because I believe in sourcing my food from the most natural environment possible. To me, putting produce into my body that has been sprayed with chemicals that kill bugs and can only be sprayed by humans wearing protective gear, seems to be a bit of an unhealthy choice.

I'm still easing into becoming completely organic predominantly due to the cost involved. However, I found some good information for those on a budget who want to try to incorporate organic produce into their diet. When produce is sprayed with insecticides and pesticides some residue is left over. This varies from plant to plant but pesticide residue is most present in these 12 plants (often referred to as "The Dirty Dozen").

  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Capsicum
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
If you follow this link you can view a more comprehensive list.


For anyone out their that is more into conspiracy theories and left field thinking, here is an interesting speech by David Icke on why we should eat organic ;)


Finally, I've had a few people ask if eating plant-based can effect physical performance.

Juicin' on the go
Logically, all you need to do is replace the nutrients (specifically protein and iron) that you were obtaining from meat with plant based sources. I don't recommend taking supplements as I think the more natural you can eat the better.

One thing to be mindful of, and something that few people know, is that in order for your body to be able to use protein, the protein must have a complete amino acid profile. This complete amino acid profile can be obtained from animal sources, with the only exception in the plant kingdom being hemp.

If you are trying plant-based I recommend making hemp a cornerstone in your diet. It can be used in smoothies and used through dishes (each morning I will blast a big smoothie with hemp protein, heaps of greens, ground flaxseeds, berries, banana, avocado and almond milk).

Other than that, it is important to eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, beans, grains, nuts and legumes so you consume a wider source of nutrients and increase nutrient density.  This is a very simplified approach, but the more variety you have in your diet the more likely you are to get all your nutrients.

From my experience, I found my performance levels increased due to a rise in my energy levels. When eating a plant-based diet, digestive stress is reduced. I found that I had excess sustainable energy that I was able to transfer into my sporting endeavours.

I don't want to rant too much about this so I will save some information for tomorrow ;)

That's about a wrap, I'm having "dinner" in a few minutes. Tomorrow I'm gonna share a special craving recipe, one that should see you through a cold winter's night!!!!

Until tomorrow

Peace out,

Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment