Matthew O'Brien

Email: matthew.obrien@live.com.au
Twitter: @plant_protocol
Instagram: @theplantprotocol
tumblr: http://aoditya.tumblr.com/

Thursday 25 April 2013

Day 4: The 7 Day Juice Cleanse

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite but today I felt fantastic. I am beginning to understand just what my body needs to function on this detox.

I've added a snack juice to my day that I sip on between meals and added an extra juice in the morning. This has helped to increase my energy levels and I would say I'm feeling about 90% compared to before I started the cleanse.
F.Y.I.

Today I was moving around the city a lot so I had to plan my juices accordingly. I took two juices with me and also had two store bought juices. 

I was also able to train BJJ today at a relatively high level. Due to my endurance training I have always been able to grapple without gassing out and today was no exception. I was expecting to feel more tired but I felt completely comfortable grappling, although during the last minute I started to feel slightly more tired. 

My body seems to be coping a lot better with the cleanse. I still crave calorie dense food and bout Darcie and myself often get drawn to the smell and sight of junk food. The reason this is happening is because our body's are not getting the necessary amount of calories in them per day so they are craving high calorie dense food (often times this is junk food).





Watermelon!!!!

1/4 Watermelon
4 Stick Celery
4 Carrots
2 Apples



Getting ready for tomorrow

For all those interested in how to thrive on a vegan diet, today I'm going to introduce the elusive Vitamin B12. This is something that does not exist in the plant kingdom and can only be obtained through supplementation or eating fortified cereals. 

It is essential that vegans get their daily intake of b13 because with out it you can start to look like one of those wimpy vegans. Symptoms include fatigue, pale skin, easy bruising and bleeding, stomach upset and weight loss. The best suppliment I have found for this can be found on Rich Roll's website and is part of his Jai Lifestyle range. I believe the best way to consume Vitamin B12 as a vegan is to spray it orally (tablets and capsules can work too but I believe this method to be the most effective).
The Temper Trap

Last night, at the "Temper Trap" concert, I was thinking about energy and how we, as human beings, produce it. I noticed that when I was in a high energy environment, such as a live music concert, that my energy levels were high too. During this process I learnt that I can prevent feeling lethargic if I try to gain energy from a a mental and spiritual source.

The energy we gain from food is not the only energy our body relies on. There are yogis and saddhus out there that survive purely by breathing while sitting in a cross-legged position on a mountain top. Breathitarians? What is the source of their energy?

I've found that when I am stressed out, whether it be due to time commitments or relationships, I feel the negative effects of this detox more. However, when I am in a happy, relaxed state of mind I am able to thrive and forget about the fact that I haven't eaten in 4 days. 

I thought I understood this principle before, but this cleanse has really made the idea of finding alternate sources of energy stick out. I think we can all learn from this principle and apply it to our lives. As passionate as I am about health and nutrition, I don't believe that we can truly understand the power and potential we possess as individuals unless we find balance in all facets of our lives. This means that we can't purely rely on living a healthy lifestyle on just the physical plane, I believe we should strive to be healthy on all levels of existence.

As a result of this cleanse I am beginning to understand the need to place equal importance on all levels of being - physical, mental and spiritual.

Again, thanks to everyone for their support and for visiting this blog. I hope that in some way my thought can help you!

Peace out

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment